July 10, 2019 — Disney Channel star Cameron Boyce died from a seizure Saturday at age 20. On Tuesday, his household launched a press release that the actor had been handled for epilepsy, ABC Information studies.
“Cameron’s tragic passing was as a consequence of a seizure on account of an ongoing medical situation, and that situation was epilepsy,” the assertion stated. “We’re nonetheless making an attempt to navigate our method by means of this extraordinarily coronary heart wrenching time, and proceed to ask for privateness in order that the household, and all who knew and cherished him, can grieve his loss and make preparations for his funeral — which in and of itself, is agonizing.”
Epilepsy is a standard neurological dysfunction, the hallmark of which is unprovoked seizures. It impacts individuals of all ages, although it’s extra frequent amongst younger kids and older individuals. Demise from epilepsy is uncommon. The main reason for loss of life amongst individuals with uncontrolled epilepsy, sudden sudden loss of life in epilepsy, or SUDEP, kills 1 in 1,000 individuals who have the dysfunction.
Scientists don’t know the precise reason for SUDEP. The sufferer is commonly present in mattress, mendacity facedown. It might not be clear that the particular person has had a seizure — there are indicators, or a witness, solely about one-third of the time. However researchers have recognized potential elements:
Respiration issues: Throughout a seizure, an individual might have pauses in respiratory, which may grow to be life-threatening in the event that they go on too lengthy. Or a convulsive seizure might result in an obstructed airway, which ends up in suffocation.
- Coronary heart rhythm: Not often, a seizure might trigger a harmful coronary heart rhythm or cardiac arrest.
- Blended causes: SUDEP might occur when respiratory issues and an irregular coronary heart rhythm coincide, or from different, undiscovered causes.
One factor consultants do know: SUDEP is commonest in individuals who have uncontrolled epilepsy. Individuals who have three or extra convulsive seizures per 12 months (what most of us image after we consider a seizure) are 15 instances extra prone to die of SUDEP. Different issues that may make it extra doubtless are:
- Missed doses of treatment, or not taking treatment as prescribed
- Stopping or altering treatment abruptly
- Being between the ages of 20 and 40
- Having an mental incapacity, with an IQ below 70
When you’ve got epilepsy, controlling the variety of seizures you’ve got will reduce your danger of SUDEP:
- At all times take your seizure treatment as prescribed.
- When you’re nonetheless having seizures, communicate along with your medical crew.
When you’re conscious of any seizure triggers, take care to keep away from them.