The investigation right into a lethal collection of suicide bombings in Sri Lanka entered a fourth day on Wednesday. Whereas new data continues to emerge concerning the bombings, some fundamental questions stay unanswered.
What we all know concerning the investigation
• One of many suicide bombers who killed greater than 300 individuals in coordinated assaults on church buildings and inns in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday was a lady, the authorities mentioned on Wednesday, revising the overall variety of attackers tied to a Muslim extremist group to 9 from eight.
• The federal government mentioned Wednesday that it had arrested greater than 50 individuals in reference to the assaults, all of them Sri Lankans. The federal government has blamed the group Nationwide Thowheeth Jama’ath for the assaults, and on Wednesday mentioned it was probably that the group’s chief was amongst those that blew themselves up.
• The Islamic State has claimed duty for the assaults, which killed greater than 350 individuals and wounded about 500.
• The victims got here from greater than a dozen international locations, and included worshipers at Easter providers.
• A cupboard member on Tuesday mentioned the bombings could have been in retaliation for assaults on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, in March. On Wednesday, a authorities minister and former military chief mentioned planning could have been a number of years within the making.
• The US Embassy confirmed that brokers from the Federal Bureau of Investigation had been in Sri Lanka to help.
What we learn about who was killed and the place
• The dying toll rose to no less than 359. Unicef, the United Nations youngsters company, mentioned no less than 45 of these killed had been youngsters.
• The assaults happened at three church buildings and three inns on Easter morning in three separate cities throughout the island. Two extra explosions occurred within the afternoon in and round Colombo, one at a small guesthouse and the opposite at what was the suspects’ obvious secure home. Three officers looking for the attackers had been killed in that blast.
• The deadliest explosion was at St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, about 20 miles north of Colombo, the place greater than 100 had been killed.
• A minimum of 28 individuals had been killed on the Zion Church in Batticaloa, on the opposite aspect of the island on its japanese coast. St. Anthony’s Shrine, a Roman Catholic church in Colombo, was additionally attacked, with an unknown variety of useless. Witnesses described “a river of blood” there.
• The three inns attacked, all in Colombo, had been the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand and the Kingsbury.
• Individuals from greater than a dozen international international locations had been killed, together with many Sri Lankans. A number of of the victims had been Individuals, the authorities mentioned. Others had been Australian, British, Chinese language, Dutch, Indian, Portuguese, Japanese and Turkish residents, in accordance with officers and information experiences.
What we don’t know concerning the assaults
• How two small, obscure teams — considered one of which was beforehand greatest recognized for desecrating Buddhist statues — managed to tug off subtle, coordinated assaults.
• The extent to which the Islamic State or different worldwide terrorist networks could have helped with the assaults.
• The names of the suicide bombers and the now 100 individuals being held in reference to the assaults.
• Why the authorities didn’t take substantial steps to attempt to forestall an assault after receiving experiences of an imminent menace.
• What impact the failure to cease the assaults could have on Sri Lanka’s authorities. The president and the prime minister had been already engaged in a bitter feud.