How did the blaze unfold?
- At 6:20 p.m, the primary name to emergency companies got here in, however no fireplace was seen at the moment, Paris prosecutor Rémy Heitz mentioned. The primary name talked about a hearth within the attic, in keeping with the fireplace brigade.
- 20 minutes later, a second alert was known as in, and the fireplace was seen at that time, the prosecutor mentioned.
- Round 400 firefighters have been deployed to the scene however have been delayed barely by rush hour visitors.
- It’s unclear how the fireplace, which unfold in a short time throughout the roof and over a bit of round 1,000 sq. meters (10,763 sq. ft), started.
- Shortly earlier than eight p.m. native time, the cathedral’s famed spire burned to a blackened shell earlier than lastly toppling, as 1000’s of Parisians who had gathered within the streets watched in horror.
- By round 11 p.m., President Emmanuel Macron introduced: “The worst has been prevented. The façade and the 2 major towers didn’t collapse.”
- By early Tuesday morning, the fireplace was below management, and the fireplace brigade introduced that the fireplace had been extinguished 9 hours after it began.
- The hearth was an accident, in keeping with Valérie Pécresse, the president of the Île-de-France area during which Paris is situated. An investigation has been opened.
What’s been broken?
- Whereas the principle construction has been saved, firefighters have been unable to save lots of the central spire, which had been added throughout a restoration venture within the 19th century.
- The vast majority of the 13th-century oak roof, known as “the forest” as a result of it required a forest of timber to construct it, was additionally largely destroyed.
- Nobody was killed within the fireplace. Two policemen and a firefighter have been barely injured, in accordance Paris Fireplace Brigade.
What’s going to survive?
- The cathedral’s iconic bell towers — immortalized in Victor Hugo’s story “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” — survived, together with the cathedral’s elaborate stonework facade.
- The Crown of Thorns, believed to be a relic of the fervour of Christ, and the Tunic of Saint Louis are among the many invaluable artifacts that have been saved.
- The church’s irreplaceable rose home windows and organ are in good situation, a metropolis official mentioned Tuesday.
- Different main artwork items from the Notre Dame have been additionally saved, because of the fireplace companies and police, and have been now in a protected place, Paris’ mayor mentioned.
What occurs subsequent?
- Firefighters will work to make sure there is no such thing as a additional threat of fireside and that the construction is secure. Consultants will assess the soundness of the constructing and “safeguard” the towers and relics, the fireplace brigade mentioned.
- The Paris prosecutor has opened an investigation. “Nothing means that it was an intentional act,” Rémy Heitz informed reporters exterior the Gothic cathedral Tuesday, including that staff employed on the web site have been being questioned over the blaze.
- Macron has pledged to rebuild the cathedral and mentioned he would launch a world fundraising marketing campaign to assist finance these efforts.
- Donors have already pledged tons of of thousands and thousands. The Île-de-France area will unlock an emergency fund of €10 million ($11.three million), and Paris Metropolis Corridor mentioned it will give €50 million ($56.45 million) in direction of rebuilding efforts.