An opportunity encounter this previous weekend has upended my life in surprising methods. A lot of you already know the elements that you have seen — the video of a dialog that occurred exterior my dwelling. I would prefer to share some further particulars about that occasion that I feel add some necessary context.
– I used to be leaving my constructing with my little one to take him to a pal’s home.
– Like many in San Francisco, I reside in a constructing with a safety callbox and residents within the constructing depend on that safety measure.
– I seen Wesly Michel caught the door and entered the constructing with out utilizing the callbox. I did what got here naturally and requested the place he was going. I need to be clear on this level, that is one thing I do usually, no matter who the opposite particular person is.
– I supplied to carry the door open whereas he used the callbox to contact his pal.
– As I discovered later, Wesly was a pal of a visitor of a resident within the constructing. The constructing resident was not anticipating Wesly.
– When the encounter turned confrontational and I could not resolve it myself, I known as the police.
Here is the place the complexity begins. I used to be coming into this case with my distinctive historical past.
My father was murdered exterior his dwelling by a trespasser who he confronted alone. For my kid’s security, my security and that of the constructing, I felt it was essential to get assist on this state of affairs. Moreover, I’ve encountered trespassers in my constructing and we have been robbed a number of occasions. This isn’t unusual in San Francisco and the unhealthy actors are all totally different colours.
I now notice that Wesly was reacting primarily based on his distinctive historical past as nicely. Sadly there’s a horrible sample of individuals calling the authorities relating to individuals of coloration for no different cause than their race. The very last thing I ever meant was to echo that historical past — and I am sorry my actions prompted Wesly to really feel unfairly focused resulting from his race.
I consider individuals are good at coronary heart. It is our previous experiences and fears that cloud even our greatest intentions. I hope Wesly will learn this and perceive my historical past as I’ve tried to know his.