My mother is French and my dad is Irish, however one among our household favourite recipes rising up was a Russian one… beef stroganoff. To me, you may’t beat this combo of savory beef, mushrooms, onions, and a contact of bitter cream. Right here we’ve made it even a bit more healthy by swapping nutritious (and decrease carb) cauliflower for the standard noodles.
Beef Stroganoff Over Cauliflower
To me, that is traditional consolation meals. My mother made a slow-cooked model served over egg noodles that was completely scrumptious. My brother and I in all probability would have chosen her beef stroganoff over sweet!
Sadly, due to genetic testing and far analysis, I discovered that I couldn’t tolerate many grains. I additionally needed to keep away from dairy for some time (my dad and mom discovered related outcomes from their testing), making this household favourite off-limits.
Through the years, I’ve slowly revamped recipes I take pleasure in so as to make them extra nutrient dense and to accommodate meals allergy symptoms. It’s difficult, however I attempt my finest to do it with out dropping the flavour of the unique (usually with many dismal failures alongside the way in which).
I discovered a option to sub cabbage for noodles in spaghetti, and candy potatoes for noodles in lasagna. Just a few months in the past, it lastly dawned on me that there was an much more apparent substitution for egg noodles in beef stroganoff: cauliflower.
Cauliflower has a light style when steamed and can also be an excellent texture as a base for a extra hearty dish like this. If in case you have a bit extra time, this stroganoff is right over cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Ideas for Phenomenal Beef Stroganoff:
- I’ve included cooking occasions for the most straightforward and fast model of beef stroganoff. I make it in about 30 minutes on a busy evening. For a extra tender stroganoff, simmer the meat lined within the pan for a further 30 minutes on medium/low warmth. This step is extra necessary for more durable cuts of meat (flank or spherical steak) and fewer necessary for naturally tender cuts (filet or sirloin).
- The spice suggestions are a place to begin. Be happy to experiment and add extra of them to fit your style.
- Bitter cream is totally non-obligatory. If you happen to eat dairy-free, you may omit it with out a downside. If you happen to use it, ensure to stir it in on the very finish after eradicating from the warmth.
- When slicing the meat into skinny strips, it may be simpler to slice when it’s nonetheless partially frozen. Whether it is defrosted, I’ve discovered that kitchen shears are additionally actually useful for reducing it into skinny strips.
- For an excellent budget-friendly model, use floor beef rather than the sliced steak. The feel might be a bit totally different however the taste will nonetheless be superb.
Cauliflower Beef Stroganoff Recipe
A extra nutrient-dense tackle a consolation meals traditional. Hearty beef stroganoff over steamed cauliflower as an alternative of noodles. Gluten free with dairy free choice.
Slice the steak into as skinny of slices as attainable.
Soften the butter in a big skillet and add the slices of meat.
Thinly slice the onion and add to the pan.
Prepare dinner for 5-7 minutes till the meat has began to brown and the onions are translucent.
Thinly slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan with the meat.
Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper and tarragon.
Add the meat broth and produce to a simmer over medium low warmth.
Simmer for about 25 minutes till the meat is tender and the mushrooms have softened.
Whereas the meat is cooking, lower the cauliflower into florets and steam till tender.
Take away the meat from the warmth and stir in bitter cream, if utilizing, stirring till properly included.
Serve atop the steamed cauliflower and revel in!
Energy: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 31g | Fats: 32g | Saturated Fats: 17g | Ldl cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 1074mg | Potassium: 1094mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 14.3% | Vitamin C: 88.5% | Calcium: 11.5% | Iron: 17.4%
Ever tried beef stroganoff? What was a favourite household recipe rising up?